Century Pulp & Paper takes every effort to reduce its carbon footprint and impact to the environment.
This is achieved by constantly making improvements to its operations in the four key areas :
- Power Consumption
- Waste Management
- Usage of Raw Materials and Conservation.
The plant consumes approximately 14.0 lacs units per day, of which an estimated 95% of power is generated internally. Of this, 45% of CPP's power needs are met through the process of biomass waste in the form of black liquor, pith and sawdust.
Other Initiatives for conservation of energy include:
- Use or RGP hot water in bagasse pulp mill
- Elimination of excess bagasse conveyor of a depither plant
- Addition of a 2500 KVAR new capacitor in circuit to maintain plant power factor
- Interlocking of deflaker motor with broke tower pump
- Installation of DOCC mud filters to increase dryness of lime mud cake
- Power saving through the replacement of existing gear boxes of chip screens, bifer screen and dewatering screw conveyor with helical gear boxes
- Interlocking of supply pump and agitator of paper machine
- Installation of heat exchanger in WPP pulp mill to recover heat from ash steam
- RPM reduction by introduction of smaller size pulleys
- Replacement of inefficient pumps
- Replacement of soft water with foul condensate in oxygen bleaching in RGP
- Reduction of film press pit agitator drive motor pulley diameter from 430 mm to 410 mm for power-saving
- Commissioning of producer gas plant to save furnace oil in rotary lime kilns (50% replacement of oil with producer gas)
- Commissioning of lime mud CD filter and rotary lime kiln for better fuel efficiency
Century Pulp & Paper is proud to be recognised with these awards in the field of energy conservation:
- Indian Paper Manufacturers Association's award for Energy Conservation for the year 2002-03 and 2003-04.
- CII award for being one of the top Energy Efficient Units of India for the year 2003-04, 2006-07 and 2007-08.
- Government of India's National Energy Conservation Award for the year 2003-04 & 2005-06.
- Government of Uttarakhand's Energy Conservation Award for the year 2009, 2010 and 2011.